Wednesday 16 May 2012

Couchsurfing: Introduction to New Way of Traveling


The first time I heard about Couchsurfing was way back in 2005 or something. I had this crazy friend, who told us about his trip to Morocco and Greece and Egypt and staying in, well, other people's homes.

Are you flippin' nuts? I dismissed it as a crazy idea for people with no common sense and risk their lives to becoming targets for serial rapists and killers.

Fast forward to 2008, in my self-rediscovery phase, I had always wanted to travel but my excuse was always the same: I didn't have anybody to go travel with, I suddenly decided that I was just going to do it with or without people. I signed up for a work-travel volunteer vacation program with CADIP to go to Greece. I love ruins.

I joined Couchsurfing in August 2008, taking this opportunity, with the intention to make new friends and network with local people and to opt for their less creepy option: To meet people at events or for coffee and/or tours (without the sleepover part). This was also a popular option in places where culturally people stayed with their parents or lived in small quarters and could not host guests at their homes.

I was surprised to find this whole new world open up to me with open arms. Not only did I meet amazing people through Couchsurfing, but also made me look at strangers in a different way.

We are not strangers in the world but we are friends who don't know each other yet.

99% of the time, this is true.

I'm not going to say that it is completely safe to trust strangers on the internet, but with a little practice and common sense, you will be able to quickly discern what kind of situation you're in and what kind of person you're talking to.

So far I have only surfed officially 3 times, once in Athens, once in Recife Brazil and once in my own country in Langkawi, Malaysia.

I have hosted 20 official Couchsurfing guests in my home and a few other friends of friends, from all over the world. Germany, France, Canada, Spain, San Francisco, Washington DC. I think I like hosting more than surfing :)

Other times I have used this network to meet up with locals when I have a long layover such as in Amsterdam and Istanbul.

So far I have had the chance to visit my Couchsurfers home, and also hosted one of my previous host in Chicago... and made some great friends around the world.

Ever since Couchsurfing has become more and more popular, I have become more wary about the new members. It used to be an alternative means of travel, and works on the basis of trust and vouching system, like nomads and bedouins do. Now that it is in the mainstream news, I am concerned that it might attract the creepy people and people with less than good intentions. But at the same time, I am still open about it and I hope my sensible rationality and instinct serves me well.

If you are too lazy to learn or read about Couchsurfing, here is a good comic about it.
Recently a bedouin from the southern part of Jordan was featured on CNN for his 'cave' surfing
More about safety can be found on Couchsurfing.org and on their Safety FAQ page

My Couchsurfing philosophy:

  • My home is not a free hotel or free guesthouse
  • My home and couch is a place of cultural exchange and learning
  • I want to spend quality time with my guests
    Couchsurfing is not a dating site
  • New members are encouraged to participate in hosting or local activities to familiarize with the community
I am currently planning my next trip to Spain (Madrid, Zaragoza and Barcelona) and I hope to utilize Couchsurfing as part of my learning. I think I have earned my badge and collected karma points that I can hopefully redeem. So far I have been accepted in all three places, from couchsurfers, offers for place to stay, coffee, breakfast and salsa dancing.

*Happy camper*

More upcoming posts on how to write requests and how to host. But for now I will say that I highly recommend Couchsurfing as a way to see the world!

Sebastian and Matthias on their cross-America road trip
Maryanne visited for 20 hours we had jam packed activities

Erick giving me a special historical, cultural and gastronomical tour of Amsterdam

Chris and Kuno cooking dinner in my kitchen! And did the dishes too!

I hosted Celine in Chicago so when I had a long layover in Amsterdam she sent me so much information and guides and sent me off at the airport

Anya and Steffi from Germany at Chicago Gay Pride Parade. We watched the World Cup together and went to Summerdance Salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment